Thursday, February 25, 2010

Death of GPS (moment of silence)

      I recently saw a video on youtube.com, of the Google Navigation and the Nokia Ovi maps in action, if you dont know what those are, those are the gps systems that come FREE with the device. I asked myself, with the boom in smart phones, and the cheap and most of the time free availability of GPS, would the GPS market die out? Not to long ago not many people had GPS systems, on the respective armed forces of countries and the ubber rich. Now its easy to get a TomTom or a Garmin, or, if you drive a Chevy, use Onstar gps system. I asked myself this question cause i saw Noah, editor of phonedog.com , and friend navigate through the SF Bay Area using Google Navigation and Ovi Maps. To my surprise the phones were on point, doing everything from recalculating the route to monitoring the speed of the vehicle. So i think to myself, why spend possibly hundreds on a GPS when i can use it for free on my phone? Could this kill the GPS market? I'm just a speculator, not a professional, but the same way the cellphone did away with the pay phone, mobile GPS will do away with GPS systems. Let us know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment